Sunday, January 27, 2013

"Time flies," everyone says....

"Time flies," everyone says.
It's frightening sometimes
to look in the mirror and see
the evidence of that.
So often, we don't take a moment
to say what's in our hearts,
and then, when it's too late,
we wish we had.
I'm taking a moment now, Mom,
to tell you this...
When I was a child, there was
so much I couldn't understand,
like how hard you worked
and how much you sacrificed
for our family.
There were dreams you had
to put on hold
and dreams that never came true.
You must have felt frustrated
sometimes, no doubt,
and at times even full of despair.
Yet you never gave less
than your best to us.
You didn't have an exciting career
or beautiful clothes.
You never traveled the world
or drove a fancy car.
Every day, you looked after us,
worried about us, fed us,
and loved us,
without expecting anything in return.
You see, Mom, I know now
and understand
that you actually gave me two lives:
my own... and yours.

-- Cheryl Van Gieson
I Love You Forever, Mom...
You have shown me how to give of myself
You have shown me leadership
You have taught me to be strong
You have taught me the importance of the family
You have demonstrated unconditional love
You have demonstrated a sensitivity to people's needs
You have handed down to me the important values in life
You have handed down to me the idea of achieving one's goals
You have set an example, throughout your life
of what an ideal mother and woman should be like
I am so proud of you
and I love you
forever
Poem by Susan Polis Schutz

 

No comments:

Post a Comment